Sunday, November 30, 2014

Three-Hundred Fifty Nine Days

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. (Romans 15:13)

The verse above was the theme for a women's group event at our church several years ago. I was asked to speak at that event and the verse spoke to me like none other had. 
So much so that I decided to use that verse reference to sign my books. At that time, I didn't know I would meet the wonderful man I'm now married to--all 359 days of wonderfulness! At that time, I was recovering from a broken engagement, thinking perhaps I'd never marry again. 

Yet life has it's twists and turns for indeed, I did meet the man of my dreams. That doesn't take away from my previous husbands. For in their time, they too, were the "man of my dreams". That's why it was hard to believe I'd meet and love again like I did. 

This week and next, we're on a trip, celebrating our first anniversary. It's so hard to believe it has been nearly a year, but it is. Just this morning, Jim suggested for our devotions we have each morning,  to read a verse. He picked it. Guess what it was? Yes! It was the above verse!!

I want to say, dear reader, that the God of hope spoken above was the same God who filled me with all joy, peace, and hope. When I was widowed and when my engagement was broken off. When I was recovered from that loss and I was trying to be content alone. 

In my case, God answered my desires for a husband. He may not do that for you. You might be in a difficult marriage. You may have never been married. Perhaps you're divorced and didn't want to be in that state. This verse is for each of you. Take it as your own. And enjoy the overflowing hope the Holy Spirit gives you. 

I am certainly going to do that. I don't know what's around the next bend. But right now, on this anniversary trip, I will enjoy the state I'm in. And acknowledge it was the God of Hope who brought my Jim to me.

On a different trip at Epcot Center

No comments:

Post a Comment