Friday, November 14, 2014

Grieving Life

Last weekend Jim and I attended a marriage conference at Cannon Beach. I wondered if we'd be the oldest couple married the least amount of time. We weren't the oldest, for there was a couple married 63 years--and this was their first ever marriage conference! There was a couple--considerably younger than us--who were married only four months. 

At the conference, there was a lot we'd heard before. There were new concepts to learn. One was: "We're grieving life." 

"That's depressing one might say." No. Since Adam and Eve chose to disobey, there's been a grief of what might have been. 

I was feeling sad. Because I was a nearly one year bride? No. I was sad because of what might have been. I wished I'd had some of the tools we were given at this conference when I was a nineteen year old bride. I wished I'd had them when I was a thirty-something woman who was in a dysfunctional marriage that might have better with some of these tools. But that was not to be. 

I remember the first time I suffered grief when I should have been happy. I was walking down the aisle, after being pronounced "wife" to my late husband, Bill. Why was I sad? I couldn't put my finger on it and soon the sadness passed. Later, I read having those feelings of grief were natural. I was grieving my life as it was. Now I was moving into a new life. It was wonderful. But it was new. And that's grief.

I've found there are many types of grief. The stark grief of losing someone in death. The lesser grief of a broken engagement. The grief of an empty nest. The grief of time, slipping away. The grief of realizing there'll not be anymore new grand babies, just great-grandbabies. The grief of a beautiful scene.

I'm glad I attended the seminar. I love my life. My husband. But.....there's still that niggling, lost feeling that wiggles its way into my being. Grief. 

When we go to Heaven, we'll not experience grief anymore. That is a gift I'm looking forward to. Just not yet. 



4 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to heaven. My heart yearns for the day this life will be over and I will be standing before God...perfect, without the presence of sin...anywhere. No temptation, no feelings of guilt, no worrying if I am making the right decisions, no more battles with regret, bitterness, selfishness, pride etc... No more negative thoughts...EVER. No more ability to hear the voice of the enemy whispering lies. I will never have to be concerned if I am failing God or my loved ones. My focus will never be on my circumstances or me. I will be able to worship God without distraction and see Him as He is in all of His glory. He will wipe away every tear from my eyes (and believe me, there have been lots of them). I am ready anytime He calls. However, I do not want to go one second before HE is ready for me. I understand the grief of looking back and thinking about what might have been. But when I get focused on my Lord (like I will always be without any effort in glory), the grief vanishes and all I can do is praise Him. I get those moments on earth but they will be every moment when I am in eternity. Oh, how I long for that day but I don't want to leave this place until I have taken as many souls as possible with me when they go. My job, my focus as long as I live on this planet must be to reach souls with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I must be about the Lord's business and not my own. Wonderful post! Really got me to thinking and pondering. We can't do much with the past but leave it behind. Today is the first day of the rest of our lives and the best day we have to make a difference. Press on dear sister in Christ! Blessings on your marriage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Katrina,
      I just now saw this comments a year and one half later. I'm sorry I didn't see it. God's blessings as you relate and strive to make a difference with the Holy Spirit's help. Thank you for the wishes of blessings on my marriage. God is so good to have brought Jim into my life!
      Blessings! shirley

      Delete
  2. Yes, can't wait for Heaven to see my beautiful 30-year old son, gone too soon. Regarding grief, it is a long grief to watch my parents move swiftly toward the end of their lives, losing bits of themselves along the way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jane,
      I just now saw your comment a year and a half later! Please know they mean a lot. I'm so sorry for the loss of your son. That is so difficult. Both of my parents and in-laws are now gone. I miss them so much. God's blessings to you Jane!

      Delete