Friday, January 2, 2015

The Day After New Year's Day

I was flummoxed by what I'd write today. It's the day after New Year's Day and I should have something profound to say to bring in the year. Instead, I was inspired by another writer who aptly wrote about what she was grateful for.

You've been hearing about my "gratefuls" all year long, but I can't resist yet again reciting some.

First of all, I'm grateful for the beautiful sunrises I'm given many mornings where I live. Just right outside my front window today, I was able to see a beautiful one. This photo doesn't do justice to the spindly black branches of the oak tree and her minute twigs that trace the lightening sky. The lacy purple clouds adding texture. The dark green firs ever present in the NW.

Morning

Go Oregon! Rose Bowl Game Watching Attire


How about the fun of dressing up for the big game we watched yesterday. Oregon won handily. We rewarded ourselves by watching the game after taking down our Christmas tree and decorations--there were many. Phew! We were tired, but had so much fun cheering on the team. Just the two of us.








New Year's Cookies





I am grateful for family memories of our mom making New Year's Cookies on the day. It was her mother's recipe and we loved the warm fritter-like deep fried confections. We'd break them in half and dip them in the sugar on our plates. Of course, we counted them out so each one would get their fair share. This New Year's Day, I made them for Jim. He loved them and we ate every single one! They were delicious!



Annabel sporting her new hat



 There's the joy of seeing our granddaughter, Annabel, wearing the gift we thought would be perfect for her. She loves hats and scarves and accessories.
Our Devotional for 2015

There's the anticipation of reading a new devotional to learn more about love languages: (1) Words of affirmation (2) Gifts (3) Acts of service (4) Quality time (5) Physical touch. 










Lake Union, Seattle


















I'm grateful for families. Weddings. Christmas. Children. Siblings. We attended a wedding ceremony last Saturday in Seattle of my nephew and his bride on a decommissioned ferry boat. The night sky was beautiful. So were the vows spoken. Jim and I held hands as we listened to them. And remembered our own vows just a little over a year ago.





Merrill and David



The happy bride and groom just after saying their vows. 











Waiting for the wedding to start with some of my favorite people



We had fun dressing up for the wedding and waiting for the ceremony to begin. Most of the family was there, together.














My husband resting his eyes while reading in bed

I'm grateful for the fun-loving husband I have. He lets me take photos of him, lying in bed. He looked so funny with the magazine plopped down on his face. He looks weird, doesn't he?!











Vacationing in Yellowstone National Park (notice Oregon sweatshirt!)

I've listed only a few of my "gratefuls" that are only from the past few days! I'll be adding a few each week from 2014.

I challenge you to start writing gratefuls down. You'll run out of room very quickly, I'll bet.

I am most grateful to Scripture that always brings joy and insight to me each day. Here's a line of Scripture I came across Wednesday from the Psalms:

Righteousness and peace have kissed.

Words to think about. 


No comments:

Post a Comment