Friday, January 30, 2015

Revisiting Memories

At Crater Lake, 2009


Five years ago today, the doctor came into the hospital room with the terrible news. They told me my husband would not survive the brain bleed he'd endured. That day was one of the most difficult days of my life. I didn't understand why our love story would be so rudely interrupted. I wanted to run and scream and not face the news. This was not what I meant when I said those vows only seventeen months earlier. "'Til death us do part". I wasn't ready. I thought we'd have more time. But we didn't. It was a blip of time. One week short of two years.

I don't want to dwell on that sad day so much except to acknowledge that the dreaded day occurred and has passed. What I'd like to dwell on is the provision God gave Blair and me in those wonderful two years. It was a miracle we met. If it weren't for the internet, it wouldn't have happened. On our first date, we immediately connected and less than a month later, we'd set a wedding date. In our short time together, we traveled, met new family and simply enjoyed our togetherness.

In those two years, we compressed a lifetime together. We didn't have the turmoils some newlyweds face in the first years. Our finances were established. We knew what battles to fight and what weren't important. We knew what it was to lose someone in death and held onto each other all the more because of it. Our time together was short, but full and complete. 

I learned so much from him in that blink of time. He loved and cherished me and I him. Blair loved my family too. Both younger granddaughters only remember him as their grandpa for they were too young to remember their Grandpa Bill. Blair gave the love of football to his two grandsons Andrew and Caleb. They rarely miss a game--and he was their influence. He'd be delighted that they love it so much. And he'd have been at their football games if he were here. And cheering on the Seahawks this Sunday with them.

Emily and Grandpa, 2009
In his brother John's airplane
















But he isn't here. He's in Heaven and I wouldn't wish him back. He is in utter joy and completion with his Savior and Lord. His work on earth was done that day, five years ago. Do I miss him? Do his sons miss him? His siblings and friends? Of course. He was a not-to-be-forgotten kind of guy. But we'll see him again when we enter eternity. And on this day, of Blair's entrance into heaven five years ago, we remember you. We love you. We'll see you again.


No comments:

Post a Comment