Friday, February 13, 2015

Valentine's Day Thoughts




Valentine's Day brings a conundrum of emotions. If you're young, it's very exciting to sign all of those valentines for your class mates and have a party at school, where there are games and sweets and fun cards to open. My granddaughters were excitedly talking about the Valentine box they were each making to put the cards in for their party today.

When we're past the young innocent days where there are no more parties at school, a teenaged girl might wish for a special sweetheart to share the day with a card and gift. I was seventeen on the first Valentine's Day when I had a sweetheart. The two pound box of Van Duyn's Chocolates tasted so good. I shared some of the locally made confection, but also gluttonously ate a lot of it by myself. That sweetheart was my late husband, Bill. He remembered Valentine's Day each year before we were married but that wasn't the case after we were married. One year, I recall sending him to the store to get something. Let's say it was apples that were on sale at Fred Meyer's. I dreamt he would see the many displays of Valentines and gifts and think I need to get something for Shirley. Unfortunately, he didn't see them, for he was looking for apples! After several years of disappointments and secret tears when he didn't remember--I thought just a card. That's all he needs to remember! I learned something finally after years of frustration and hurt. Some men--perhaps your man--just does not think of those things. I finally realized I needed to tell Bill that it was Valentine's week and he needed to get me something! Sometimes I told him what I wanted. Other times, I let him decide. But I reminded him of the day. Lots less drama that way. Of course later--like maybe twenty years--he figured it out and did remember, but not in those early years. When my family still lived at home, I'd make a very special dinner with a heart shaped cake with pink frosting. Both of the children would receive a gift with cut out hearts all over the package. Bill got one, too.

There were Valentine's Days when I was alone--my heart was broken, too. There were seven of those days by myself. I learned by this time to make my own day.  After my sweethearts were gone, I still made the day special. One time, my dear sister left her own sweetheart and came down from Seattle specifically to take me to dinner for she knew I'd be alone for the first time in more than forty years. Another day, a friend and I went out to dinner together. 

It's so fun to have a sweetheart on this day of love, but sometimes it just isn't so. For those of you who are in this condition, I recommend you make your day special. What would you like someone to give you? If you have the funds to do it, buy yourself a gift. Wrap it up. Then open it. Take yourself out to dinner. Invite a friend to go with you. Invite some single friends to have dinner at your house. Make it special for them.  Babysit a young couple who don't have a babysitter--or grandparents--to watch their children. Try to get away from feeling sorry for yourself and do something for someone else--sweetheart or not. 

It may not be the same as having a special person to celebrate with you, but it is better than feeling sorry for yourself all alone. Try it. You have one more day to plan!

No comments:

Post a Comment