Friday, February 6, 2015

Super Bowl--Seahawks--Steelers--Patriots

It was 2006. Super Bowl XL. I wasn't watching it that year. We were planning a memorial service. Our pastor and numerous family members and friends were gathered at our home, talking about Bill Rudberg, my husband of forty years. It was a comforting time, really. Hearing different stories about Bill and how he touched others' lives. After a couple of hours, we were finished. Pastor Paul had some good ideas to incorporate into his sermon for the memorial service. The two grandsons, Andrew, age six, and Caleb age five, were too young to sit still for that length of time. They went to Aunt Connie's home where they watched the Seahawks and Steelers fight it out. The Steelers won, 21-10. Aunt Connie (she's not their biological aunt, just a great friend) explained the plays to the boys and they were rooting for the 'Hawks of course.



Fast forward a few more years. 2010. Super Bowl XLIV--the Saints VS the Colts. Score: 31 - 17. It was another important day to remember. This was a Super Bowl Wake for Blair Graybill, my husband of seventeen months. His memorial service was just one day earlier. Blair was a huge football fan and in the two years he knew Andrew and Caleb, he taught them about the game. They were enthusiastic learners and both grew to love football. Earlier, Blair and Caleb decided they were for the Colts. Andrew was for the Saints. While numerous family members cheered on their team, we ate Buffalo Hot Wings, chips and dip, sandwiches, many beverages, and lots of sweets. Some of us didn't watch the game, but looked at old photos and reminisced. Some of us were still in shock, not  really being aware of much, except that a prominent person was no longer there. When the game was over, half of the crowd was cheering and happy. The other half, sad. One little boy, now nine years old was sobbing in a room by himself. He was sad that his team lost. But the tears really weren't about the game. It was about the terrible loss of the person who had rooted with him for the Colts during the season.  Caleb and I cried together that afternoon.


The next year, 2011, we watched the game. It was now a tradition to do so. We ate, yelled at the television. And cheered our team.

Fast forward another three years. 2014, Super Bowl XLVIII. It was the Seahawks again, versus the Broncos with a big win: 43 - 8. The boys were bigger this year. Fourteen and thirteen. There was a new member in the family now: my new husband, Jim Mozena. We ate meatballs, freshly made French bread, chips and dip, nachos and many types of beverages to choose from. We cheered loudly. And our team won handily! Finally, the 'Hawks made their Super Bowl win. With satisfaction we turned off the TV.



The following football season, we watched "our" team every chance we got. We all were rooting for the 'Hawks and Russell Wilson.

Super Bowl XLIX. Of course we were getting together again to watch the game. We, along with most Washingtonians were for the 'Hawks. Would all the family get together again to watch? There were some more new family members. My new stepson Kevin and granddaughter Rowan came while Kerri, our daughter-in-law, worked at the hospital. This year, the two boys decided they wanted to watch the game with their football buddies and not with us. I felt sad they weren't coming, but I also understood things change with time and we have to flow with the change and not resist it too much.  We all know the outcome of the game. From all of the posts on Facebook, people are still thinking about it. I just read Coach Pete Carroll can't sleep, thinking about that last pass. 

Soon, we won't be chattering about football and the final game. It will be another sport or big event.  What I do know for sure, is that things can change quickly. I don't know who'll be at the Super Bowl L.  If the 'Hawks are playing, of course we'll root for them. If I'm still here on Earth (and I fully plan to be, Lord willing), we'll have a Super Bowl Party. I'm not sure who'll be here. I do know times change. Children grow up and don't cry in front of people anymore. They want to watch games with their friends more than their family. It's all part of life. 

I've been on Earth long enough now to know how quickly the years pass. Just this past Wednesday, I attended a graveside service for a cousin ten years younger than myself. Yesterday, I heard of a classmate who was on the class reunion committee with me and entered eternity yesterday morning. We don't know what's around the next corner. What twists life will bring us. What I know for sure is that our God is faithful. He never changes. He will be here with us.

In I Thessalonians 5: 16-18 it says, Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. Later in the text, it says the One who calls you is faithful, and He will do it (24).

I can rest that I do not know the future, but I know Who has called me. And will be faithful. He will do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment