Friday, March 6, 2015

Joy Moments

Life has its twists and turns. In the past nearly 15 months, I've experienced joy every day. Life has been good. I'm married to a wonderful man who loves me and cares about me. There have been times, though, when I've had to stretch to find the joy.

Most of you know I've had major losses in my life. I've said goodbye to two husbands, and a child, in death. You've had your own sorrows and loss, I'm sure. That's life. It is full of joy and sorrow. What I've learned in these contrasts of life is to grab that joy time when it's there and hang on with all your might. We don't know what's around the next bend. That's not to scare you. But life is like that. It isn't perfect. Things don't always work out the way we want them to.

I was at a wedding ceremony where the pastor entreated the couple to remember a verse written centuries earlier that applied to a marriage. I've tried to apply it to my life.

See that no one pays back evil for evil, but always try to do good to each other and to everyone else. Always be joyful. Keep on praying. No matter what happens, always be thankful, for this is God's will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.
I Thessalonians 5:15-18

It's pretty simple, really. Not always easy, but good advice. Grab the joy moments. Always (verse 16). Be thankful--no matter what happens. Always (verse 18). Enjoy the joy moments. Even the simple ones. Like the shimmering full moon I saw last night obscured slightly by the clouds. Like the first sip of coffee in the morning. Like the delight of my granddaughters excitedly telling me about the valentine boxes they made for the party they were going to attend. Like setting the table with flowers for an ordinary meal.  Like my husband, telling me he loves me--forever and ever. The joy of a simple conversation with a sibling--who knew you from the beginning. Like knowing our Lord loves us and is faithful and will work in our lives. The passage above continues:

Now may the God of peace make you holy in every way, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless until that day when our Lord Jesus Christ comes again. God, who calls you, is faithful; he will do this.
I Thessalonians 5:23, 24

Grab the joy. Enjoy the moment. And be thankful. 





No comments:

Post a Comment