Thursday, March 12, 2015

Rocks

I've been speaking to women's groups this week in the Sacramento area. It has been good, retelling my story how during the difficult times of my life, God was there as my rock and refuge. I tell them about the scariest time in my life when I rappelled down Rooster Rock, a nearly 400 foot cliff in the Columbia River Gorge.

As I was preparing to rappel down the cliff, my husband, Bill, instructed me, "Just lean back, sweetheart, trust the rope and the protection".

Lean back, does he realize I'm leaning into thin air, trusting the rope to hold me? I thought.

Bill carefully checked my harness and the rope connected to my figure eight apparatus. "It looks good, Shirley. Trust me. Trust the rope and the protection. You'll be OK."

"OK, here I go." I said with a trembling voice. I leaned back and I talked to myself the whole way down. Keep my legs straight to the wall. Keep my brake hand back. I slowly moved down the face of the rock with the double ropes in my right hand. It seemed like forever before I reached the foot of the rock. "OK, honey. I'm down!" I hollered up at Bill so far above me.

Very quickly, Bill was down beside me. Praising me for my braveness. "Good job, Shirley! You mountain woman, you!" This was his way of praising me and it filled me with a warm glow.

Years passed since that day. I recall how I had to utterly depend on Bill's expertise in setting up the rappel for me. I had to trust he did it right.

I've learned that rock climbing and dependence on the rope is a lot like life. Sometimes we're placed in precarious places. Scary places where we have to trust God, our Savior to be our "rope" and rock as we stumble through life's troubles.

This past Wednesday, we were reading Psalm 94 and some verses jumped out at me:
If the LORD had not been my help,
my soul would soon have lived in the land of silence.
When I thought, 'My foot slips,'
your steadfast love, O LORD, held me up.
When the cares of my heart are many, 
your consolations cheer my soul. (verses 17-19)
But the LORD has become my stronghold,
and my God the rock of my refuge. (verse 22).

The years have passed. I've had my share of troubles and loss--just as most of you may also have experienced. Isn't it wonderful we have a personal God who cares about us? I'm so greatful for the God I serve. The God who is our rock!

Rooster Rock


No comments:

Post a Comment