Thursday, May 28, 2015

A View From A WheelChair

I'm learning while I sit in this wheelchair, it is not as relaxing and fun as it looks. If I could trade places and push instead of sit, I would. Believe me. Now that I've been here--and it isn't a permanent place--unlike some who are in wheelchairs, I've learned some things:

When in a wheelchair:
1. You see children in strollers eye-to-eye. They look at you and chuckle! A big person at their eye level is unique--and they like it.

2.  When an occupant in a wheelchair meets another occupant in another wheelchair, we have camaraderie. We always smile at one another and give a shake of the head in understanding.

3.  When sitting in a wheelchair, people look at you, curious about why you might be sitting there. I've found it's nice to smile when they look, to let them know it's ok to look.

4.  In the future, when I'm free of my "buggy", I'll always look around in a public restroom to make sure no one in a chair needs the handicapped stall. It's designed to be large for a purpose--those wheelchairs are bigger than a person and it's necessary space!

5.  Whether I'm in a wheelchair or pushing one, or just plain 'ole walking, I'm going to try to smile more. I always knew that, but I realize it even more now. It isn't that much fun in this spot, but here I am. I'm going to make the best of it. And smile. I feel better. They feel better.

6. Because of my wheelchair, my grands are learning to be servants by pushing and fetching and just being helpful in many ways.

7. It's a different view down here in the chair. I see lots of couples walking hand in hand, delighted to be with each other. I see big, tough looking tattooed guys tenderly hold a toddler's hand, I see all shapes and sizes of people. Humanity is a wonderful creation and full of beautiful differences.

The Apostle Paul wrote a long time ago:

I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. (Philippians 4:11)

In our GriefShare class, we often share with others about learning our "new normal". I guess I need to  learn my new normal--from the chair. I've been assured by the doctor I will in about five weeks, be able to put put weight on my foot with a boot cast. But for now, this is my normal. 

I'm having a wonderful time, vacationing with my family in spite of the wheelchair. I'm so grateful we were able to complete our many months in planning to spend time with this one branch of the extended Rudberg/Graybill/Mozena clan. We have many to share time and love with--and we are blessed.

Here we are at the Magic Kingdom




No comments:

Post a Comment