Saturday, May 16, 2015

The Plans We Make

I try to write a blog each week, but this week was a little different.

It started with my birthday on Wednesday. We celebrated a day early so my grand girlie, Annabel and I could share the day. Annabel's is May 1, mine, May 6.  We had a wonderful Cinco De Mayo theme. Jim and Erika planned the menu perfectly. We had chicken fajitas, corn pudding, salad, and chili rellenos. For dessert, of course, chocolate cake.

Jim and I planned to take a week at the beach so I could begin completion of my next book, Beyond Second Chances. We camped at Cape Lookout State Park and enjoyed walks on the beach, beautiful sunsets and lots of writing times.


On the weekend, Jim's sister Rosaleen and her husband Ron joined us and on Saturday evening, we planned a fresh seafood fest. Ron volunteered to cook and we ate the seafood in courses. First, we had baguettes with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Ron fried up some oysters, and we enjoyed the tasty morsels and cole slaw, took sips of chilled white wine and dipped our bread in the olive oil.

Next course was fresh scallops sautéed in butter. Divine! Ron announced he would start the next course: fried razor clams. "Let me get something to read, while you cook," I said, and dashed off to our campsite to find the paper.

Enjoying our seafood


What happened next was completely out of our plans. I stepped into our RV and tripped--I guess--all I know, I was tumbling in mid-air and landed crookedly on the ground. I had extreme pain and knew I'd done something very serious to my ankle. 
All of our nicely made plans for progress on the book disappeared. I was frustrated with the pain, frustrated that now things would be different than what we'd carefully planned. Instead of complaining about how our best made plans were foiled, I thought it would be nice to point out what did work out:

1.  There was a hospital 20 minutes from our campground.
2.  There was excellent care given there--and they recommended we go to Vancouver right away for surgery. 
3.  We used the bed in the RV to transport me to Peace Health, where they were waiting for me at ER.
4.  My surgery took place early Sunday morning--I didn't have to wait all day--performed by a leading orthopedic micro vascular surgeon.
5.  The staff at PH were wonderful caregivers and we felt like we were family.
6. Throughout this time period, we experienced God-given calmness during the all night ordeal.

I came home on Tuesday and meals were ready, a system to take care of our meal schedules were in place--Jim can't do everything after all. I received phone calls offering equipment for my convalescence. A scooter for when I can use it--a snazzy burgundy. A shower chair and other things. All because people care and want to help. 
Thank you Mary Jane!

Tonight, my sister will be here with me while Jim takes my daughter, Erika, to "Phantom of the Opera"--I was supposed to be there at curtain call, but I'm glad they can enjoy it.

I will be honest and say I wish this wouldn't have happened. That I didn't crush my ankle, have to cancel some of our plans. 

We can make plans for our future but I'm learning that the outcome can be different than what we expect.

So, I will plan. Try to finish my book. Check my calendar frequently so I don't forget what's on there, and rest in what God has ordained for my day. And not fuss too much when my plans are foiled. There's always tomorrow.


Cape Lookout--stunning view--before the accident


2 comments:

  1. James 4:13-15. Jim may remember me using this section of scripture to explain Robyn and my journey to the mission field and home during the last half of the 90's. You guys are showing us all how to live this out. God bless you both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bob. Jim did remember the Scripture. A good reminder. Jim is wonderfully patient--I'm sure he's asking for help in that area! I'm learning what it's like to be on the receiving end--I'd trade places anytime!
      Shirley

      Delete