Sunday, October 18, 2015

Listening to Wisdom

We're taking the next four days off to visit family. I'm speaking at several Women's Connection groups in the Omaha area, giving my talk. This weekend, we're staying with my last surviving aunt and uncle in their retirement home in Omaha. They are senior citizens who have much grace. Russ and Ruth Jones have been married for 67 years and their marriage still shows romance, love, and respect. 

Last evening, after dinner, while sitting in their living room, Jim posed a question to Uncle Russ. Russell Jones taught at a Bible School his entire professional career and was also a pastor of several churches. Jim asked, “What have you learned about God in your latter years?”

 Uncle Russ sat there, pausing before his answer and replied, “I’ve come to realize that God wants us to practice His presence. By that I mean, contemplate WHO He is, what He’s done.”

Jim, wanting to understand, asked, “Can you give me a specific example of what you mean by that?”

Uncle Russ said, “Sometimes now, I just sit, and acknowledge what God has done for me. His creation and who He is. As Christians we want to DO. And they’re not bad things, but we don’t really appreciate our God or take the time to quietly be aware of our relationship with Him and His desire to be with us. 

Jim responded by saying, “I learned after the deaths of my daughter and wife, that I couldn’t always make things happen—and my nature does try to make them happen—but God wanted me to be totally dependent on Him and He would and has always done what’s best for me.” Uncle Russ nodded in agreement. 

That was one of many conversations we had this weekend. I want to fully enjoy this time, for I know things change quickly. I’ve experienced that already, for my mother has been gone for nearly five years, and my dad, 24 years. 

As I listened to my uncle, Psalm 46:10 came to my mind: “Be still, and know that I am God.”


I think I’m going to try to do that more. 

Uncle Russ Jones and Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment