Friday, October 2, 2015

Travels With Shirley and Jim

Our home away from home

I'm so excited! You see, Jim and I are going on a road trip. We've been on a cruise, we've traveled across the country on a jet, and across Canada by train, but not by car--or RV. Our transportation will be something like the photo above. Maybe a little larger, but not much, for I'll be driving too.

We won't be parasailing, but we will bring our swimsuits just in case.


Why am I so excited? I think it's in my blood. You see as a child, every summer we'd pack our bags, and the family of seven would load up the four door family sedan and take off from our West Coast home. It was crowded in that back seat where four children--the baby got the front seat--vied for their own space. We fought our battles while we gazed out at the vast countryside. 

Sometimes we travelled to the NE corner of Montana, where my Aunt Ida and Uncle Jake lived. Usually it was wheat harvest time and I've wonderful memories of freely exploring the large farm--and fearing the sheet lightening that filled the skies at night. That farm is still there and though we won't visit this time, I'm sure we'll be back. Other times, we headed for the Mid-West to see more aunts and uncles and cousins. 

We'll meet Illinois cousins here
We'll travel through Nebraska and Iowa farmlands


We plan to do the same this time where we'll visit my Aunt Ruth and Uncle Russ in Nebraska, cousins in Illinois, and best of all, our newest grand-baby girl in Iowa!

Would you like to come along? I'll try to be brief as I describe some of the drive through our beautiful and vast country during the month of October. This time I won't have to fight for my "space" in the back seat. I'll be up front and help navigate--and drive sometimes, too. 

Gotta go. I've got packing to do!  



No comments:

Post a Comment