Friday, November 13, 2015

Music Can Soothe Your Soul



You can sing it, you can play it, you can listen to it. Music is another way to cope on your journey from grief to joy. 


There's me, my head down, staring at my music!
I play violin in a small community orchestra and after my second husband, Blair, died suddenly from a brain aneurysm, I continued to attend rehearsals. For me, playing takes me away from anything but the notes in front of me, my violin blending with other instruments. Sometimes in those early days of grief, the music piece was a pop song and the words brought back memories. The tears streamed down my cheeks as I played, but they were soothing and healing tears. Tears release toxins of sadness.

You might not play an instrument, but your voice is an instrument and you can sing. Join a choir, sing at church, sing with the radio.

Maybe you don’t feel like singing. Then listen to music. I love Pandora Radio (it’s free). You can pick the genre you feel like listening to on a particular day--or moment.


That’s my tip for the day. It’s pretty simple. Try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment