Friday, February 7, 2014

Face the Fear

Make fear your friend. Fear is a reality. That's what I heard this morning as we listened to an athlete who participates in the "skeleton" an Olympic sledding competition. They went on to say you can either be paralyzed by it--or accept the fear and face it.

My fear is a natural one: OK--take a deep breath I say to myself--my fear is losing my husband. I will face that fact. Should I worry? Be anxious? Or do I enjoy the gift God has given me? I choose to face it. Enjoy my life as it is right now. To face my fear and enjoy my Jim, the man God--and only God--brought into my life!

The Olympic athletes face their fear as they plunge down the mountain slope. The bobsled track. The ice skating rink. Your fear is different. It may be losing your job. Losing money in a retirement account. Losing your battle with cancer. Your parent. Your spouse. Your home. Not belonging. Forgotten. Alone.

Many Scripture verses come to mind as we think about our fear. My favorite is in Deuteronomy 31:8 The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.

No comments:

Post a Comment