Friday, August 15, 2014

Final Quarter

Jim and I talk about our "final quarter" of life--and that we need to make the most of it. We're newlyweds and enjoy being married so much, we celebrate weeks and months, not years.

My fiftieth high school class reunion was last weekend. After the big event, I couldn't sleep for I was on overload from meeting so many friends. I would look at a person, not know who they were, ask their name and soon, they would morph into view. I found it was their eyes that brought them into focus for me.

At the reunion, I was disappointed some of my closer friends did not attend. My best friend, Karen, was not there. She was the first death in our class at age eighteen from a tragic car accident. George, a promising young man from my church youth group wasn't there either.  He also died in a car accident--while on leave from his stint in Vietnam. Neither was Patty, a friend who had been a bridesmaid in my first wedding. She died of an accidental gunshot wound. There are rumors she was murdered, but we don't know for sure. Then there was Sharon. A cheerful woman who only two years ago, sent me a note encouraging me during the recent loss of my second husband. I didn't realize she was battling cancer at the time. She, too has entered eternity.

Death and life are very real events in our life and most of the time, we avoid talking about the shortness of life. I've said final goodbyes many times. Two husbands, a stillborn baby girl, parents, best friend, and yet, I am always surprised at someone's final passage into eternity.

Some of my classmates who were on the planning committee.

The apostle Peter reminds fellow Christians some final thoughts about our time on earth:

Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God's grace in its various forms. If anyone speaks, they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God. If anyone serves, they should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ.
I Peter 4:8-11a

Sounds like good advice for someone in her last quarter.

1 comment:

  1. It was a great information about the latest fashion in jackets. Thanks for posting this article.\ click here

    ReplyDelete