Friday, August 29, 2014

Sleep, blessed sleep

I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O LORD,
make me dwell in safety.
Psalm 4:8


Sleep was never an issue for me until a few years ago. Never in my entire life until I was in my fifties, did I ever live alone. There was always someone dozing somewhere else in any place I lived. That is until my first husband, Bill, died. Then I was alone. I can remember pacing the hall and throughout the house unable to sleep. Not because of fear, but loneliness. Perhaps it was the total silence because there was only one human being--me--in my house. 

The moment I married for the second time, that allusive property--sleep--came back. I could sleep soundly all through the night! It was wonderful, that sleep. Then I was widowed again and had the same experience. I was alone. Again, I paced the house. This one had two floors so I could wander up or down, rather than across. 

Now, I am married again and that blessed sleep has come back to live with me--along with Jim. I am so thankful. "What about me?" You say. "I'm alone." 

I understand. Being alone is hard. That's why I'm including this verse that helped me. And might help you too. 

Here's my wish for you on the eve of the"last" of outdoor weekends. May God grant you peaceful sleep. And if you cannot sleep, may you sense His presence--for He's there!
My grandee Annabel at 18 months--she's now ten years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment