Friday, November 8, 2013

Mountain Tops

Mt St. Helens Summit, October 19, 2013
 Andrew, Jim, Shirley, Erika, Caleb

Twenty five years ago, I climbed my first mountain. There were at least 15 climbers that day. There was blue sky, hot sun, a 360 degree view of mountains, forest and city. A chalky dust covered my exposed legs. The climb was difficult, but I made it. My teen aged daughter was there, several old and new friends. The most special partner was my husband, Bill. 

Just last month, I climbed the mountain for the eleventh time. It wasn’t any easier, even though I’d summited it ten times before. The rocks seemed bigger. I carefully picked the safest and steadiest one. I had to work on my breathing as I climbed. I wanted to stop, sit down, rest, and not go any farther. But I wouldn’t have seen the glorious view at the top. I would have missed high-fiving my two grandsons, my daughter--now forty years old. 

More than this eleventh summit experience was my special partner this time. His name is Jim Mozena, a widower who also understands the loss of a daughter and spouse. We will marry in a few short weeks. God has blessed me once more with a third chance at love.

I honestly did not believe I would find another partner in this life. It’s very possible I would have had to live without a mate. In my case, God in His very personal way, brought Jim into my life. That might not be your story. Regardless, God is a personal God. Who cares about each of us individually. 

No comments:

Post a Comment