Friday, November 22, 2013

Taking Vows



Two weeks from tomorrow, I will take vows during a wedding ceremony to my fiance-soon-to-be-husband. 

I looked up the definition of vow: "a solemn promise, pledge, or personal commitment". 

When I was nineteen, I said those vows and though I knew they were serious vows, I had no idea what they really meant. I just wanted to get married! 

I said them again forty-two years later. I understood better how serious the vows were. It was easy to say, "to love and to cherish, in sickness and in heath." The "'til death us do part" filled me with the memories of the choking loss two years earlier. Yet, it was with hope I said them.

In two weeks, I will most likely, choke on those words. But again, I will say them with hope. For God has gifted me with a wonderful man who loves and cherishes me. I will say, "For better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness or in health, to love and to cherish 'till death do us part....

One of my favorite Bible verses is in Romans 15:13 May the God hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.



No comments:

Post a Comment